This page is is currently a work in process. I hope that it will become evolving repository for my future learning efforts, not only to document what I learn and link to integral resources, books, or media, but also to describe and organize my thoughts on how I will approach learning certain topics.
Micro Learning Futures
A month-long challenge over November 2019; each day I will write a short design concept around the idea of building future learning platforms. These could be design modifications to existing tools (e.g. forums or video conferencing) to make them more conducive as a learning environment, concepts for new learning tools, ways to improve current educational institutions or learning spaces within cities, or anything which relates in some way to imagining new futures for learning.
Researching, writing, and thinking about a video series I plan to create exploring the intersection between cities and psychology. More info and resources soon...
My projects generally stem from three ‘pillars’ of interest: the mind, city, and education. These interests also form the longer-term goals which I am interested in exploring further:
- Mind : I want to explore how the mind works and develop tools to think and learn more effectively.
- How can I use existing mnemonic techniques or invent new ones to remember more effectively?
- Hammers are one of many tools to manipulate physical matter, but what tools could exist in our mental toolbox to manipulate thoughts or ideas?
- City : I want to imagine and build the cities of the future.
- How can cities be better designed to foster community and participation?
- In what ways do cities affect us psychologically?
- Education : I want to create new mediums, platforms, or opportunities for learning.
- Instead of how MOOCs try to replicate university lectures but at a collosal and impersonal scale, how can we make online education more personal and niche to individual interests? The internet is a perfect platform to connect small groups of motivated people around a common interest or niche area of study.
- Are there ways to improve on the design of forums or video calls to create more comfortable online spaces for learning and collaboration?